"Advanced" use of virtual worlds? (Re: [MUD-Dev] MMORPGs & MUDs)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Feb 1 03:01:50 CET 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Michelle Elbert wrote:
> From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

>> Now, I agree that roleplayers are not "more advanced" -- they're
>> just playing the game in a different way.  However, I don't see
>> how roleplaying, in and of itself, denies someone any interaction
>> with other people.

> Well, I think what he means is that when you're roleplaying,
> generally, you're "talking funny".  Non-roleplayer types can tell
> you speak, say, English... But you're not using it in a way they
> are familiar with.

I think that's only a little bit of it, because roleplaying doesn't
need to involve accents. I never use accents when I roleplay, as I
find them to be pointlessly forced. They just remind me that the
person is faking whatever he or she is talking about, which I don't
want to be reminded of. I want to be presented with a persona that
is, in all respects, no different than me chatting OOCly with
someone, except that the person's viewpoints are skewed by whatever
character he is playing, and his knowledge is also limited by it.

--matt