Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Tue Dec 31 18:18:00 CET 2002

[ Mike Shaver]

> Until you care about being able to sell your offline-produced
> items while you're offline.

Good point. A simple solution would be to assign spare CPU cycles to
a periodic, staggered updating of factory inventories with new
products being transferred to player-specified vendors.

> Or you care about what happens when two characters are
> offline-mining the same resource and it runs out (who got how
> much?).

Mining in SWG isn't character based. It is accomplished through
character-built "mining facilities" that run whether the character
is on or offline. But as to the question of how to minimize
computation of resource-contentious activities like this, I suggest
the following:

Every resource maintains a list of associated "consuming entities"
(e.g.  a gold mine has 5 facilities mining it). If one of those
entities demands a state update (e.g. "How much ore have I
extracted?") The progress calculations of all dependent entities are
performed and stored. Combine it with an automated periodic update,
and you've got an efficient resource-consumption system.

-Marc