Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Dec 23 15:29:15 CET 2002

From: "Dave Trump" <trump at trumps.net>
> At 12:34 PM 12/19/2002 -0600, shren  wrote:

>> I always thought that it would behoove gaming companies to bill
>> stoage fees - in game money - for number of items possessed
>> beyond a certain threshhold.  Represent it, say, by warehouse
>> rental or vehicle mantience.

> You are overlooking the most obvious and elegant solution: A
> working cash economy.

> When I played DaoC, for example, if I found an item that wasnt
> useful to me but might be useful to someone I knew I would keep it
> in hopes that I could trade it for something, simply because money
> had no value at all.  The total failure of the cash economy and
> emergent barter economy is the cause of much unneccessary
> hoarding.

Hmm....  Just the other day I was reading a heartfelt and compelling
argument that there was no barter economy, that cash was king and
that players were salvaging everything short of Dragon Loot in order
to make the cash for player-made spellcrafted equipment.  And this
is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that cash in Camelot was
without value.  Even before Spellcrafting, cash was always in demand
for siege equipment and door repairs.

--Dave