Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu Dec 19 23:13:20 CET 2002

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Wed 18 Dec, Marc Fielding wrote:

> Won't the reduction of the skill system to a class system occur
> anyways?  No balancing is perfect, and hardcore players will
> discover collections of skillsets that confer the greatest
> benefits to their desired playstyle(s). With players only allowed
> to have *one* character per server, don't you think the desire to
> "optimize" will be encouraged?

Only if the game is shaped like a 'race' with a specific goal in
mind that the players must reach.  Then you will attract (some)
players who want to reach the finish first, and in the quickest
possible way.

If on the other hand you set the game with a multitude of goals, and
set (social) interaction as the primary attraction, then the
efficiency of a character will mean next to nothing and the dri- ve
to optimise will never (strongly) develop within the player base.
Of course if you do so you will have to retrain an entire generation
of players who grew up with a game shaped as a con- test and not as
a culture or society.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,