Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 19 22:27:02 CET 2002

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>
> On 12/17/02 11:32 PM, Dubious Advocate
> <dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I'd like to see the log analysis that shows shared accounts
>> consume a noticable percentage of system resources.

> Why?

> I'm getting a little perplexed.  SOE makes a policy statement
> about SWG.  Suddenly, a bunch of new people (or at the very least,
> people who've been lurking but not contributing to MUD-Dev) show
> up here and start demanding that Raph justify that policy.

I'm not demanding any such thing from the product or from the people
in their capacity as company representative.

I am asking for substantion of a lower-level assumption.  I
understood this level of intellectual exchange to be appropriate to
this list.

> Doesn't seem to be happening yet.  The market seems to be
> dominated by a few established publishers, SOE first among them.
> This leads me to believe that they are not stupid, at least for
> large values of stupid.

Hmm.  Well in general... Over the last two years we've seen some of
the largest participants across multiple sectors suddenly collapse
and fail.  We've also seen companies come out of nowhere and
suddenly dominate.  As any prospectus warns, past performance is no
guarantee of future success.

More specifically THIS industry, Central MOGs, hits a watershed next
year.  Not bad for an industry that's really only roughly four years
old.  Rule of thumb: when Time magazine runs fairly regular stories
on an industry, it's now part of the public mindspace.  Wrong time
for complacency.

> I think that warning Sony of dire consequences unless they
> rearrage their game is a little silly.  As you noted, there are
> more choices than ever.  I don't harangue Toyota for not making
> the car I want--I just go buy some other car.  Same with games.

Hmm ok I get it.  You're frustrated with a general tone on the list
in general, and confused me with that tone.

You've missed your mark..  I personally don't care what individual
companies do... I'm a capitalist and wholeheartedly endorse each
participants' right to leave growspace for up and comers.  That's
how progress happens anyway.

If I have an axe to grind it is that I'd like to see more products
that let players manage their own servers.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"