Dave Trump trump at trumps.net
Thu Dec 19 16:28:15 CET 2002

At 12:34 PM 12/19/2002 -0600, shren  wrote:

> I always thought that it would behoove gaming companies to bill
> stoage fees - in game money - for number of items possessed beyond
> a certain threshhold.  Represent it, say, by warehouse rental or
> vehicle mantience.

You are overlooking the most obvious and elegant solution: A working
cash economy.

When I played DaoC, for example, if I found an item that wasnt
useful to me but might be useful to someone I knew I would keep it
in hopes that I could trade it for something, simply because money
had no value at all.  The total failure of the cash economy and
emergent barter economy is the cause of much unneccessary hoarding.

With DSO we erred on the side of making gold to almost too valuable.
This was intentional.  In their desperation to get cash many players
will sell valuable items thier friends could have used to NPC
vendors for pennies on the dollar.  Just like in the real world.
The money sinks are deep enough and common enough that every coin
you can scrounge is quickly used up.

We dont have a problem with hoarding of useless items, or any
significant number of things being left on the ground since
everything is useful or valuable. Sure there is some hoarding of
things like healing kits, but thats only because they are being
continually used and quite expensive.  This type of hording is
necessary, and rarely gets to extremes, although I'm sure it would
if there were a nice dupe bug going around.