Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Dec 18 12:14:19 CET 2002

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com posted on Tuesday, December 17,
2002 8:02 AM

> If I'm paying for two accounts, I'll log them both in as I
> please. I don't see any rule against it. I don't see any way it
> can be enforced either. I understand that you have this ingrained
> philosophy against the idea, you just need to understand that in
> all likelihood, there are more of us with an ingrained philosophy
> for the idea.

Oh, I understand now.

Let me put it another way: Your (and I use this subjectively, I
don't mean it's really your playstyle) playstyle will kick the crap
out of my playstyle.  Because your playstyle is aggressive and mine
is passive, your presence actively degrades my gaming experience.
But I'm pretty sure mine doesn't harm yours.

If Star Wars wants the casual gamer, wants someone a long-term
social network to form, wants people invested in the game
personally...my playstyle must be cultivated by prohibiting or
discouraging yours.

Are all playstyles valid?  Absolutely.  Are they valid for all
games?  Nope.  Are they valid for Star Wars?  Definitely not.

> If starwars is like any of the other MMOs, there aren't many
> complexities in keeping multiple characters active at the same
> time. These games are so sparse in their entertainment, that
> playing several characters at once is depressingly viable.

And if Star Wars is like any of the other MMORPGs, it will be a
failure.  Star Wars has a theme that none of those have, a very
important and well-known setting.  If it squanders by not addressing
muling.

> Perhaps the solution to stopping people botting characters, is to
> make the game sufficiently interactive that playing two characters
> at once doesn't confer any benefits.

I agree with this.  Muling has come about in some cases due to
design flaws.  But not all cases.

> In the end, this is a commerical game with a wide market. If you
> are expecting a haven of quality role playing, no ooc talk and no
> power gaming I suspect you'll be highly disappointed.

Role-playing is not an all or nothing proposition.  There are
gradations, and Star Wars will, by its very existence, raise the bar
on that level of immersion.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien