Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Dec 18 12:04:16 CET 2002

Ron Gabbard posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 8:32 AM

<snip very lucid commentary on the advantages of SCS/MCS>

> SCS reduces the "alone in a crowd" syndrome by increasing the
> probability that most every player with whom the Monk groups is a
> primary character and a peer.  The other characters may be
> "dabble" characters where the primary is on another server or may
> be a second character of someone that is two-boxing.  However, the
> new player is more likely to find players that are peers and that
> have similar playing habits (times) with whom to build friendships
> in an SCS environment than in the MCS environment.

Well said Ron.  Just one other point.  MCS is harmful to SCS, but
the reverse doesn't hold true.  A community left to its own devices
will suffer from "MCS-creep" as the advantages built into the game
slowly accrue for the MCS side.  Thus...don't build those advantages
into the game.

> The SCS model isn't for every game as the game systems and content
> have to support this model.  However, from what I've read about
> SWG, it seems appropriate... as long as there is a sufficient
> variety of stuff to do at the higher levels.

Right.  Which goes back to not all playstyles being valid for all
MMORPGs, a new concept for some.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org/talien