Scale was RE: AC2 was RE: [MUD-Dev] Total Annilation ofDowntime

eric leaf ericleaf at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 18 04:39:16 CET 2002

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda at alfar.com>
> On 12/17/02 4:33 PM, Brian Hook <brianhook at pyrogon.com> wrote:

>> For a hoot, look at the size of a doorway in a typical FPS.  It's
>> about the size of a garage door in real life.  If you were to put
>> in a real sized doorway (30-36" wide), the amount of precision to
>> navigate through there at full speed (30mph) is tough to acquire.
>> It looks like a slot.  If the door was sized normally in height,
>> you'd constantly feel that you were about to slam your head into
>> top of it.

> Well, some of that is a result of the wide-angle field of view
> (which also increases the sense of speed, I realize).  In FPSs I
> often narrow down my fov a bit to make things more "realistic".
> It also makes it easier to aim, which is pleasant.

What do you mean by "narrow down your fov to make it more
realistic"? I do the exact opposite, for reasons of making it more
realistic. The "real" field of view of a human is much greater than
the 90 degrees that are commonly the default view in most FPS
games. I'd like to set up maybe 3 monitors someday (as soon as games
and the OS support it) where I can have a normal full view but avoid
the tearing effect that exists when I increase my fov to 130 or
so. Either that of get some VR goggles...