[MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (was Complexities of MMOG Servers)

Dubious Advocate dubiousadvocate at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 17:35:48 CET 2002

"Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com> wrote:
> From: Dubious Advocate

>> Under this definition a UO emu like POL or RunUO are MMOGs.

> So are most text mud servers.

Agreed.  Though I think it safe to say hobbyist MUDs during this
current decade will gravitate towards visual elements.

>> I like the current categorized system.  Please consider an
>> explicit category for player-managed worlds, or perhaps instead
>> add the distinction as a qualifier.  NWN would be the ancestral
>> enrollee.

> As soon as a player starts managing a world, he's an admin (as he
> quickly discovers!). The distinction is irrelevant.

Disagreed.  The distinction is commercially-owned versus
hobbyist-managed efforts.  Any other interpretation could not, for
example, distinguish a vintage Corvette Collectors club from
Chevrolet.

Clearly not irrelevant, the category or qualifier draws attention to
a mostly untapped market niche, and promotes aftermarket spinoffs.

Bioware is currently the sole provider to this market niche.  And
they've been quite profitable by doing so.

-----
Dave Scheffer
"Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself"