Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Tue Dec 17 16:14:54 CET 2002

Dave Rickey wrote:

>> Seriously: if you design the encryption scheme properly, every
>> player would have his own unique fixed key. Even if a single
>> genius manages to break one player's encryption, he would have to
>> start from scratch again for a different player. If you want to
>> make it even more difficult, use an asymmetric encryption.

> All of this strikes me as somewhat beside the point.  Storage is
> cheap (small fractions of a penny per meg these days).  There are
> valid design and business reasons for SPS, but storage
> requirements aren't among them.

Bingo.

Which is why it's really hard for me not to feel insulted when
reading that as one of the primary reasons for only allowing one
character per server.  In fact, the bit that I did read seemed to be
trying to lead people into believeing that the "cost" of storage
space is the most important reason.

There are many arguments that can be made in favor of
single-character servers, but storage space is simply not one of
them.  And releasing information indicating that storage is one of
the primary reasons for doing it seems rather like an insult to your
would-be customers' intelligence.