bradley newton haug brad at faithanddisease.com
Tue Dec 17 12:19:17 CET 2002

Matt wrote:

> SOE isn't making SW:G an SCS environment out of some principle,
> I'm sure. They're doing it because they believe they're going to
> make more money with it, and I suspect they're right.

Agreed, and the reasoning behind the switch was not to improve the
gaming experience by crushing the oppressive 'MCS' games 'stealing
user fun' or whatever, it was to make more money by making up for
the fact they forgot to include basic operating costs in their
business plan.  Citing 'database costs', this leads the industry
aware reader to conclude their business unit lacks not only a
communication path with its engineers, but basic planning and
negotiation skills as well.  Sputter sputter putt putt putt.

The post in question defending this practice has such evangelism, I
thought it was a plea for snake oil or magic server pixie dust.  It
just comes down to this 'no I don't know how much data every
character takes up on your system, I'm sure it really *is* scary to
you, but it means nothing to me, your lack of planning is not my
problem, and while this alone isn't enough for me to not play, your
patronizing justification killed all faith I had in your ability to
deliver a service'.

My favorite part is how we were 'lucky' that sony could have
finished the game 'at all'.  Oh can I give you money, can I?

Not buying it.

-brad