[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Mon Dec 16 13:03:17 CET 2002

[Ted L. Chen]

> As a transplant from the aerospace research industry currently
> trying to get in, I'd have guess say that the first barrier is the
> "A minimum of xx years experience in the game industry"
> requirement in a majority of job advertisements that scares off
> most people.  I know (or am hoping) that it's just something HR
> puts on the ads for the sake of tradition.  But if you've been
> spending the past 6 years of your life getting that advanced
> degree, you know you don't have the type of experience clearly
> stipulated in the ad.

> Add to that the fact that you realize you'll be getting paid less
> than half what you normally would in the more traditional
> industries if you do happen to get in... well the 'option' of a
> game-track just flies out the window unless you're really serious
> about it.  Besides, if you truely are serious, chances are good
> you would have tried going in before spending 6 years for an extra
> degree.  I doubt that there are really that many people who are in
> the overlap area where they want to go into games as a career, but
> who also wanted to spend the extra time in academia learning.

I'm in a similar position. I have, however, had small roles in two
released titles. After a few years of designing backend distributed
systems for audio-video streaming applications, I've gone back to
school to finish my Masters in CS and eventually find work in MMOG
or military simulation research. As a husband and soon-to-be father,
salary is an important point for me, as is time spent with my loved
ones.

Time will tell if a workable solution can be found.

-Marc