[MUD-Dev] Requirements for MM (was Complexities of MMOGServer s)

Koster Koster
Sun Dec 15 00:55:25 CET 2002

From: Amanda Walker
> On 12/14/02 4:12 AM, Christopher Kohnert <chris at achaea.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 16:05, Amanda Walker wrote:

>>> I wouldn't call a single-system server an MMOG, just an MOG.

>> Out of curiosity, what is the general consensus on the minimum
>> requirements to get that lovely double-M? Is there one?

> I don't know if there's a consensus.  I'd personally put the
> double-M at tens of thousands of simultaneous users and up.

Most of the double M games have population limits of between 1500
and 3500 per world instance. In all cases I know of, they could
handle more should there be more content and hardware, of course.

There are plenty of people who would classify anything over 32 or
perhaps 64 as massively multiplayer.

-Raph