[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Sat Dec 14 15:18:21 CET 2002

On 12/13/02 5:12 PM, bradley newton haug <brad at faithanddisease.com> wrote:

> I still loved those mud days, the programmers I worked with all
> seemed so much more alive and creative than the stodgy app and
> simulation coders I worked with later.  And everyone worked for
> free, because they wanted to.  Perhaps it was the medium.

Or perhaps it was that they were younger and had fewer expenses.  I
did a lot more "free" coding when I was a student in a dorm or right
out of college and my rent was $200/month.  Today, with a $2K/month
mortgage and a lot more bills, free time gets harder to find.

Now, this is certainly a lifestyle choice.  If I wanted to, I could
sell my house, buy a little condo somewhere and go back to my
late-teens/early-20's work habits.  So far, I have chosen not to
;-).

> I didn't realize how much I missed it till I came back.  Course
> now all I get is 'TOOO HARRD, SHHHHH, STOPPPP, I ALREADY DID IT
> BESTEST'.

That isn't the impression I've gotten from peoples' responses to you
on this list, at least.  Closer to, "Oh, that's easy." / "Actually,
it's harder than it looks."  I haven't noticed anyone trying to
convince you not to work on whatever you want to work on.

> I regard current offerings as sputtering biplanes, whose success
> was dictated by lack of options and happenstance.

I don't.  I view gaming as a young industry, but no more haphazard
than the Internet industry was in the late 80s/early 90s (note:
*before* the .com boom, back when networking was a niche).  It's
*not* obvious in advance what works and what doesn't when you're
building something no one's built before.

> It annoys me that almost every other branch of engineering has
> standards and practice testing and licensing, but CS/IT does not.

I sympathize with this attitude, and have been known to argue that
most "software engineers" do not deserve the title "engineer" for
this very reason, but I think that, again, it's a young-industry
issue.  CS/IT has only existed for a few decades.

Amanda Walker