[MUD-Dev] Is database access a bottleneck?

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Fri Dec 13 17:57:38 CET 2002

Sean Kelly wrote:

> Last time I checked, a single-license of Oracle Enterprise was ~
> $700 for the x86 version... and I think the *nix version was the
> same price.

You should maybe check that again, and look at the licensing
agreements.

If I'm understanding correctly, there's a named user PLUS a
processor requirement, and a minimum number of named users for the
license (25).

Which is going to put you at $17,500 PLUS 40k per processor.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I'm pretty sure its quite a lot more
than $700.