[MUD-Dev] Pay for Item MMOG : Entropia article on Slashdot

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Fri Dec 13 13:14:20 CET 2002

From: Wes Connell

> I don't like the concept of getting beat in a drag race just
> because my opponent can afford a BMW and all I can afford is a
> crappy VW Bug that barely runs.

> Too bad so sad for me.

> Even though I'm a much better driver from years of drag racing as
> a teenager, should I stop drag racing because I can't win?

My viewpoint: some people have more time than money.  These people
are crucial to your game succeeding as they will end up being in the
game all the time, making friends and acting as social hubs.  These
people are crucial to your game's success.

Some people have more money than time.  They have jobs, girlfriends,
families, and lives, and are frequently pretty well adjusted.  It
sure would be nice to get these people (and their bucks!) into your
game.

So I have no problem with giving the 'money' people avenues to spend
their cash.  I'm a big fan of cash.

However, one must never give 'money' so much leverage that the
'time' people cannot (or don't want to) compete.  Otherwise, the
'time' people will quit, and as such, your community will never gel.

--d