[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Dec 13 10:21:24 CET 2002

From: Amanda Walker [mailto:amanda at alfar.com]

> That's beside the point, though.  Why do you need to know what
> equipment I'm wearing or carrying?  You can't see inside my purse
> or under my shirt in the real world, why should you be able to in
> a MUD?  (please avoid obvious frat-boy answers ;-))

Well that's implementation specific. In EQ, you could just see the
item names and thumnails for the equipment the person was currently
wearing (underwear and purses don't exist). You couldn't see into
backpacks etc, and you couldn't view the stats on any of the items.

I don't see anything wildly fiction breaking about that, and in EQ
at least, people like equipment so it's a good feature. Having had
access to this information, I loathe games where I can't do it,
which includes a lot of the alternatives. When they start rending
unique models+textures for every item of clothing, I'll reconsider,
but until that day I heartily disagree.

Dan