[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Thu Dec 12 23:20:20 CET 2002

[Amanda Walker]
> On 12/12/02 1:34 AM, Marc Fielding <fielding at computer.org> wrote:

>> I actually appreciated the "inspection" abilities built into
>> EQ. In the early days of the game, many kinds of equipment simply
>> didn't show up on the character's model, and if they *did*, there
>> was a good chance they'd be represented generically. So the
>> ability to inspect another's equipment serves the same purpose in
>> EQ as it did in text MUDs: as a work-around for technological
>> limitations.

> That's beside the point, though.  Why do you need to know what
> equipment I'm wearing or carrying?  You can't see inside my purse
> or under my shirt in the real world, why should you be able to in
> a MUD?  (please avoid obvious frat-boy answers ;-))

LOL. I'll do my best, but you set it up so *nicely*! ;)

I view the ability to inspect other players as a nicety. Admittedly,
EQ was rather explicit in showing me *everything* someone was
wearing. I'd be content with simply the names of external items.

About a month after EQ's release, I was departing Freeport when a
Dark Elf strode out of the wastelands towards the gates. He was
wearing an exquisite robe that no one had seen before. Within
moments he was surrounded by silent yet inquisitive players, all
right-clicking furiously...undressing him with their mice. I was
amongst them. He was wearing an extremely rare item for such an
early era: a Robe of the Oracle. In fact, the elf was a walking
display of swag that most of us wouldn't lay our hands on for
months. Before I closed the inventory window, I noticed his
character bio, which read:

  "Yes, I've got some great stuff, but don't bother asking where it
  came from. =)"

As an extremely advanced character, he'd obviously been regularly
pestered with people inquiring about his wardrobe. Imagine the level
of annoyance he'd be subjected to if inspection *wasn't* possible!

  "Dude. What's that l33t robe?...Dude?"

With inspection in place, people can satisfy their curiosity while
he retains his sanity. From a development standpoint, he's a walking
billboard that plants the seeds of powergaming server-wide.  ;)

And now...what a random frat-boy is thinking about RIGHT THIS MINUTE:

  "Mmmmm....Fuhball....Beer....Chicks"

Oh, I'm sorry...that's what most MEN are thinking about.

Better luck next time.

;^D

-Marc