[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

shren shren at io.com
Thu Dec 12 16:23:02 CET 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Valerio Santinelli wrote:
> shren wrote:

>>> NWN is much like a graphical MUD :)

>>> You can customize it a lot. But it lacks a decent PW support but
>>> a lot of people (including myself) are making more and more
>>> tools available to manage PWs.

>> Apparently they announced some kind of database access to be on
>> the planned features list for future patches.  I'll believe it
>> when I see it, but it's of note that they said it.

> This is weird. A recent post on the forum by Don Moar, Lead
> Toolset Programmer, was clear about the fact that they are NEVER
> going to add database support to NWN. And he explained the reasons
> very well.  Here's the link to that post:

>   http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=168697&forum=46

I'm going to go call out my source on this, and I'll come back with
a specific url where someone in the know says it or with an apology.
The only point that the Don is making is that adding SQL support
makes things more, not less, complicated, not that it's technically
unfeasible or unwanted.

It seems to be mentioned here:

  http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN/nwnlog9.htm

I have nothing more concrete.  Boy is my face red.