[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Eric Hu satan at TRPG.org
Thu Dec 12 15:12:27 CET 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:57:45 -0800
Sasha Hart <hart.s at attbi.com> wrote:
> [Eric Hu]

>> The only problem is, player dont want to limit his own fingers.

> It seems weird that someone might both want something and not want
> it, but if one part wants it and another doesn't, or that he at
> one time wants it or another time doesn't, or that he in one sense
> wants it but in another doesn't, it's not actually contradictory.

I will not argue that. :)

What I want to say is, how many players did really use this function
"Bouncer"? How many players said "Thanks Gods! It is so useful!! It
save my job, my health, and my familiy!!" Have you heard that?

A couple of MUDs had the command "alarm", too. You could set a alarm
to remind what you shall do when the time is up, for example,
logoff. Is it useful? yes, and no.  If a player know how to control
himself, it is a nice function. Sadly, those who 'addicted', do not.

We ,the MUD administrators, could write 1000 columns code and
another 100 commands to help players to control himself. If they
don't want, all we did is fruitless.

We could make the tools, but players will decide he buy it or not.