[MUD-Dev] Persistent worlds in NWN (was: Retention without Addiction?)

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Thu Dec 12 10:41:45 CET 2002

Matthew Dobervich wrote:
> Valrio Santinelli wrote:

>> NWN is much like a graphical MUD :)

>> You can customize it a lot. But it lacks a decent PW support but
>> a lot of people (including myself) are making more and more tools
>> available to manage PWs.

> I'm glad to see a NWN Persistent World developer use this list as
> a source of wisdom for their designs, I was just competing to a
> friend the other day that I was surprised I hadn't seen any NWN PW
> developers pop in here.

I've been on this list for a long time.. much before NWN was even
released.  The fact that I happened to write PW hacks for NWN is
casual :)

> I also think the state of Persistent Worlds in NWN might be of a
> lot of interest to members of this list as they arguably have a
> larger audience than text MUDs do, due to their graphic nature,
> and share the same kind of open source ethic I see in text mud
> development.

> Not to say all NWN PW are open source, but one of the most popular
> is, and even worlds that aren't open source use open source game
> mechanics in their world (The Ambrosia trade skill system, or the
> HCR rule set being two of the main examples)

Yes, NWN module developers are facing many issues that are similar
to the ones MUDs developers stumble upon. Those developing PWs with
NWN are facing all the community management problems tied to this
kind of games. And content, balance, and a lot of other issues still
apply.  I have been writing PWDB, a set of scripts that can dump
variables to NWN's log in the form of NWScript and that can then be
just cut & pasted in your module before throwing online a new
version of your module.  It's just a hack and it's far from being
the perfect solution. At the moment I'm trying to find the most
efficient way to work directly with NWN's save games. What I'm
trying to do is grab the gamestate information from the savegame and
import them in the module I've been working on offline in the
meanwhile.  It's hard but it is not impossible.

--
Valerio Santinelli
One Man Crew Gaming Community (http://www.onemancrew.org)