[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Dec 12 02:17:44 CET 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Valerio Santinelli wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> I think there's the potential for some balance between the
>>> circus ride feeling of most MMORPGs and the personal feel of LAN
>>> games.  What bothers me about MMORPGs isn't the overpopulation
>>> so much as the feeling that my presence is completely
>>> inconsequential.  If NWN had better PW support I'd say that it
>>> may be an end to my quest.

>> Text MUDs, my man.

> NWN is much like a graphical MUD :)

God I hope not. Everquest et al aren't very impressive in terms of
the complaints the person above had.

> You can customize it a lot. But it lacks a decent PW support but a
> lot of people (including myself) are making more and more tools
> available to manage PWs.

You also still have to make new content to be really compelling, and
that is the difficult part. The graphical MUDs to date just don't
have the resources to give you what a text MUD can when the text MUD
can easily add new mechanics, without dealing with how to work it
into the interface, producing expensive/time-consuming graphical
content for it, etc. (Of course, that interface - typed commands -
is a pretty poor one for those who aren't pretty hardcore players.)

--matt