[MUD-Dev] Total Annilation of Downtime

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Wed Dec 11 22:34:49 CET 2002

[Eric Hu]

> In a text MUD, you will need an command to know what others
> wear. Since you could not know what Bula wear when you saw "Bula
> come from the east".  Why bother it in a graphical MUD? I SHALL
> know what Bula wear when he come into my view, isn't it? If I, a
> veteran, could not know it is the Mithril Breastplate or the
> Etched-Silver Cuirass, I shall ask Bula politely. If I, a veteran,
> could not distinguish the shining Mithril Breastplate from the
> dull leather armor in first glance, it is not my fault. The artist
> of the game shall be fired.

I actually appreciated the "inspection" abilities built into EQ. In
the early days of the game, many kinds of equipment simply didn't
show up on the character's model, and if they *did*, there was a
good chance they'd be represented generically. So the ability to
inspect another's equipment serves the same purpose in EQ as it did
in text MUDs: as a work-around for technological limitations.

-Marc