[MUD-Dev] expansion packs

Eric Hu satan at TRPG.org
Wed Dec 11 17:41:33 CET 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:44:07 -0600
Wes Connell <wconnell at kanga.nu> wrote:

> So I suppose the trick is too never reach your peak. :) I also
> suppose it is safe to say (much like other things in life) that
> its not the quantity of expansion packs, but how you use them that
> counts.

Not really. Sorry for I did not explain it clearly this morning.
One exp grinding expension pack after another exp grinding expension
pack, it is routine. and routine is boring.

Players could accept the expansion packs, since it bring the new
stuff to them. Let's use the EQ as a example :What kind of new stuff
in the 1st expansion pack? Higher player level, new continent, new
tougher quest, new tougher mobs, new skills/spells, new powerful
items. 2nd expansion?  New continent, new tougher quest, new tougher
mobs, new skill/spells, new powerful items. 3rd expansion? New
continent, new tougher quest, new tougher mobs, new skill/spells,
new powerful items. 4th expansion?  Higher player level, new
continent, new tougher quest, new tougher mobs, new skills/spells,
new powerful items...

Ok, I guess you see the problems now.

There is not a true "new stuff" in these expansion packs. They are
all the same kind of stuff "you could be higher HP/mana/AC/damage
out after you purchased the CD". Big, strong, powerful,
tough... that is all the game designer of Verant try to sell.

I am sorry to say this, but that is what I saw from EQ.

Maybe it is not a good example. I am wondering, why could Verant not
release a new expansion CD contain something crispy? Not kicking the
ass of evil gods or dragon lords any more. How about a expansion CD
to COSMETIC my character, such as "the 101 new skills to dye my
robe".