[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Dec 11 09:05:45 CET 2002

From: "Sasha Hart" <hart.s at attbi.com>

> Dependence is defined using a DSM-style "3 of the below 7." These
> encompass :

>   1. tolerance (strictly meaningless in Everquest, which is not a
>   drug)

>   2. withdrawal symptoms (for alcohol this involves things like
>   vomiting and grand mal seizures; compare Everquest's merely
>   metaphorical 'withdrawal,' consisting of perhaps loneliness and
>   desire to play Everquest)

>   3. great deal of time spent using (again, you need more than
>   this - I spend lots of time working and sleeping, and you could
>   say that I was dependent on them but it's not pathology)

>   4. Often taking more than was intended

>   5. Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down on use
>   (I would connect the above two, as for example watching a movie
>   longer than intended is not at all pathological)

>   6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities
>   given up or reduced because of use

>   7. Continued use despite knowledge of persistent problem
>   (physical or psychological) that is worsened by use

>   (I would lump together the above two as harm).

The problem is, too many of these are subjective and/or very
elastic.  I can easily stretch them far enough to make 3, 4, and 6
apply.  But do they *really* apply in the pathological sense?  I
don't think so, but it doesn't matter, by that point we're into
"dueling experts" and the typical bystander has already heard the
magic words; "MMO's qualify as an addiction under the DSM IV
definition, which is used by the psychiatric community as the
definitive source."  Even a *judge* is likely to stop really
listening at that point.  And to someone with an axe to grind, MMO's
qualifying for all 7 isn't much of a stretch (they'll hear what they
want to hear).

--Dave