[MUD-Dev] expansion packs

Wes Connell wconnell at kanga.nu
Mon Dec 9 22:27:34 CET 2002

Marc Fielding wrote:

> Unfortunately, some existing games are limited in how much they
> can tweak the product while still remaining true to the "minimum
> system requirements" set forth in the original release. Even if
> the expansion specifies a higher set of requirements, the
> underlying architecture of the game (several years old by this
> point) becomes less able to support drastic changes or modern
> updates. At some point it just makes more sense to start from
> scratch. Only once the technologies of the underlying systems
> (renderer, network, etc.) have stabilized industry-wide will we
> see games enjoy an indefinite technological lifespan and potential
> "first on the scene" advantage.

On a related note...

Have there been instances when game architecture has far exceeded
the planned platform requirements but forced into dormancy until
better hardware can accomodate it?

I know Origin has released games that ran on stupid expensive
hardware (ie: Strike Commander).

It would make sense in a way. Company X makes a game that is too
much for common hardware. Company X disables the super
alpha-pixel-shading-zillion-polygon feature and saves it for the
expansion pack. Now the expansion pack can perform a graphics make
over without losing a bit of the game. Possibly even enhancing the
original missions increasing replayability.

Of course that is a pretty simple example. I'm sure we can come up
with something that relates to networking, AI, and the like.

--
Wes!
wconnell at kanga.nu