[MUD-Dev] expansion packs

Koster Koster
Mon Dec 9 17:15:20 CET 2002

From: Matt Mihaly

>   2. The more expansion packs a game releases, the less impact
>   each one is going to have on existing players, and on new
>   players. If you're a new player, do you really want to buy 4 or
>   5 boxed products to get "everything" available in a game (like
>   Everquest), or will you want to purchase one of the new boxed
>   games, that may have features (mounts or whatnot) available only
>   in the expansion packs of existing games?

> Do those of you working on the big games think this is a problem?
> Will players get "expansion pack fatigue"? It's one thing for text
> games to continually add content for years and years, because
> there are no downloads, and usually no cost to enable the extra
> features, but I would find it very daunting to approach EQ as a
> new player and see all those expansion packs I know I'm going to
> have to buy. My girlfriend has experienced something similar with
> the Sims and all their expansion packs.

Only because "The Sims Gold Edition" hasn't come out yet that
summarizes all the expansion packs into one low priced package. This
was recently done with EverQuest Trilogy, for example, and it it is
doing pretty well as a good single point of entry for catching up on
the original game plus the two older expansion packs at once, at a
bargain price.

-Raph