MMOG Production Costs vs. Audience Growth (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Online Games Fighting Terrorism)

Marc Fielding fielding at computer.org
Mon Dec 9 14:11:59 CET 2002

<EdNote: Please do not top post/bottom quote>

Raph,

The article

  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16433-2002Dec5.html

mentioned that SWG could draw "more than a million subscribers." You
might not be willing to comment at this point, but given your
statement that development is heading for "movie-sized budgets" with
plateauing audience growth, do you believe the 1M subscriber target
is achievable (and sustainable) by your game?

More generally, where do you think the limit on subscriber numbers
of *successful* near to mid-future titles will fall? How much upside
is there in this market?

As for an audience-limiting factor, I'm finding that, for me, *time*
is the major constraint on my level of MMOG involvement. Well, that
and the scowl I get from my wife when I play more than an hour a day
(during the week, double that on weekends). ;)

Playing an immersive, compelling MMOG often requires a significant
investment of time by the consumer. You're not playing a parlor
game...you're living a virtual life. Of course, MMOG's can and are
being made more accessible to the casual gamer, but those
concessions will be limited by the necessity of striking a balance
between the casual and the invested player.

Is there a "sweet spot" in terms of weekly time investment that
would attract the greatest numbers of new/rookie players?

What kind of gamer needs to be targeted?

-Marc