[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Sage sage at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 7 22:32:28 CET 2002

At 12/7/2002 Raph Koster wrote:

> Not one, but two separate posts accused me of self-importance in
> making the statements I did. Perhaps I was unclear. The logic is
> really quite simple:

Actually, I had no idea you started the thread, but I was concerned
about the topic when I read it.  I have no idea what the first post
I read was.  There was absolutely no intention of a personal attack
on my part, so if it was my post that sparked this, I apologize
publicly and sincerely.

> We reward certain activities within these worlds, both
> intentionally and inadvertantly.

Yes.

> Players engage in activities in these worlds based on what we
> encourage them to do.

Sort of.  They pick up the game because they are seeking
entertainment.  Players do engage in activities in these worlds
because it is appealing to them, and we do encourage certain
activities by providing rewards for them.

> Players do have the choice not to do it.

Yes.

> That doesn't mean that we should encourage activities that are
> pernicious.

Yes and no.  What is entertainment/art?  Argued better in many other
places than people by me.  It doesn't hold that we should, so I
agree there.  It doesn't mean that we shouldn't either.

> Just because people can choose not to jump off a cliff doesn't
> mean we should urge them to do it.

Unless it is Stalin?  I think what matters is what you are trying to
accomplish.  If you want to illustrate that being a criminal will
get you thrown in jail, I can see encouraging criminal behavior.  If
you just want people to have a cathartic outlet, such as in GTA3, go
for it.  Provided it is put in the hands of people who can handle
it, adults, I don't see need to censor it.

I still hold with my point.  We are no more or less responsible than
a candy company.  We all know that candy is bad for kid's teeth, and
candy companies continue to advertise toward children.  Does this
make them responsible for a person whose teeth fall out?  Does it
make them partially responsible?  What in the heck does partially
mean?  Of course it doesn't.  A kid shouldn't be given candy in
great abundance and an adult should know when to stop eating it.  Is
candy bad for people?  Sure, not taken in moderation most things
are.  How should this affect candy makers?  Should they stop boxing
candies in packages of more than three "pieces" at a time.  Should
they make the candy taste worse by using a sugar substitute.  I
know, perhaps they should remove the chocolate and use CAROB.
(NOOOO!!!!)  Seriously, candy companies shouldn't do anything but
make good tasting sweets.  Parents and to some degree school
districts should restrict the amount of candy available to very
young children.  Candy generally has nutritional labels, we have
labels.

> We are not solely responsible, not by a long shot. But like it or
> not, we do have influence, we do have power, and we (as a group)
> have in the past encouraged and rewarded some behavior that we
> frown upon, that has led to behavior in real life that we would
> prefer not have occurred.

> Why it is self-important to acknowledge that? It seems to me to be
> a self-evident FACT.

Every day I see more and more stories about how an athlete should
take responsibility for her or his actions because of the influence
they have on children.  I'm sorry, but I'm more disturbed by the
other side of this coin.  A child shouldn't be encouraged to
practice in idolatrous worship of these people.  These are people
with faults like you and me and they have a life to live and a right
to live that life they way choose.  If a guardian of a child can't
teach the child that people will make mistakes without fracturing
the child for life psychologically, something is wrong.  I don't
mean something is wrong with that athlete, I mean something is wrong
with the child or the parent.  Being responsible for yourself is
enough of a challenge, claiming responsibility for others that
aren't children... well...

> The real questions are these:

>  - we teach lessons, whether we want to or not. Do we know what we
>  are teaching?

>  - we reward and reinforce behaviors. What behaviors are we
>  reinforcing?

However, if your point is that we should be teaching better lessons?
Sure, if that is what you would like to do.  If not, I say that is
fine too.  I would love to see more social games really reward
people for being genuinely nice to one another. But I also value:

  1.  Competitiveness

  2.  Good conquers evil

  3.  The thought provoking realization that good doesn't always
  conquer evil.

  4.  ...A slew of other things too numerous to mention.

I do think we could use a better balance of encouraging things other
than killing, so I applaud that ideal.  However, this has strayed
from addictive hooks into what the content should be about.

As we discover more about the "whys" and "hows" in the universe, are
we going to ultimately find that there is no "individual" left?  It
seems infinitely more sad to me that people don't equate
"responsibility" with "individuality."  At the end of it all, aren't
we merely the sum of our choices?  Sure there are influences on
decisions, but the sole responsibility lies with you, unless you
were intentionally deceived.

Here's a question for all of us.  Remember "social ties are the ones
that bind?"  What if the socializing that occurs in these games, is
what is addictive and keeps people up?  What if the pain and
suffering of loneliness that these games "cure" is what is driving
the madness?  What then?  Chat filters that filter out all that
human companionship.

My point, and yes, probably overly didactic and long-winded, is that
we need to just plain get a grip.  Make a fun game.  Make it how you
like.  Let the people decide if they want to take it too far.  If
they do, I may feel bad about their decision, but I will not deny
them their individuality for making that choice.  I'm no more or
less clever than the next guy, how am I to presume that I am so
influential over them?