[MUD-Dev] Retention without Addiction?

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Sat Dec 7 18:02:49 CET 2002

This whole thread has more or less annoyed me since I started seeing
it.

While I don't doubt that some people have issues and that our games
occassionally bring out the worst in people, this entire thread is
very one sided.

While I can point my finger at a few personal friends who have
gotten on a bad track while playing muds, I can also point my finger
at at least twice as many who have succeeded because of it as well.

Games have brought out the worst for a long time.  Consider the
gladiators of rome.  Don't tell me that you haven't seen people
hooked on an old Amiga or Nintendo either.  Perhaps someone who just
couldn't stop playing Tetris?

In the 19th Century, Grand Master Capablanca was known to turn
tables over when losing games in chess.  Hardly what people think of
when they think of chess.

On the flip side, I have a friend who when we got him playing muds
was a high school dropout and could barely read the back of a box of
hamburger helper.  He's since started reading novels and has gotten
his GED.  Also, I can name a few people who have good jobs
programming (myself included) or doing graphic art, or web design
who got their start working on muds.

How many of you got a job from experience earned playing muds?  Or
know someone who has?  Know someone who learned to read, or type?
Granted you don't read as much in a graphical game, but I'm sure
there are correlations.

How many have made lifelong friends?

Take responsibility for the bad things if you will, but chances are
credit isn't fully yours anyway... but take responsibility for the
good too.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom