[MUD-Dev] Virtual worlds as a Society of Mind

adam adam at grexengine.com
Sat Dec 7 13:57:30 CET 2002

on Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 08:45:55AM -0800, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Frank Crowell wrote:

>> I don't drink or do drugs, I just write like I do.  There is a
>> meme in the techno world now to "embed everything" and to "go
>> wireless everywhere".  But as I was thinking of alternative to
>> FEAR I could see an approach to embed everything with smarts.  So
>> instead of a singular brain, you have an augmented brain. I may
>> be making this stuff up as I go along, but I believe there is
>> material on the Net that suggests creating objects that can
>> broadcast their properties.  On paper the idea of smart cars and
>> roads have been around.  The designs were based on devices
>> broadcasting to cars, such as a road marker saying "slow down
>> accident 1.5 miles ahead".  Or the wheel device saying, "chuck
>> hole ahead, go left, no no i mean your other left.  argh we are
>> dead."  Ok that didn't work out too good.

Sounds very much like Sun's JINI work (which I keep hearing people
raving about and complaining that the world at large seems to be
ignoring what might be the most insanely great thing Sun has ever
done...):

  http://wwws.sun.com/software/jini/

(Note: JINI is intended I believe to be the architecture for doing
such things, I have no idea whether Sun are doing anything exciting
with it at the moment)

Adam M