[MUD-Dev] online voice communication

Corey Crawford ccrawford at seventh.net
Mon Dec 2 19:07:47 CET 2002

From: "Damion Schubert" <damion at ninjaneering.com>

> As of yet, voice chat is really only feasible for 4-8 people.

Going back to Natural Selection, the voice chat interface there works easily
qwith 15-20 people on a single channel. (Each channel being one side of a
two-sided conflict). Maybe this only works well because everyone is too busy
playing and aren't talking to talk?

> I'm still waiting for someone to make it really work in 'cocktail
> party' mode.

There is a site called AudioTips that has a "voice chat
community". At times the rooms can be very busy, but the voice chat
server used (called Chatterbox) handles 15+ social users pretty
well. It's a simple java app that's downloaded the first time it's
used and has a very easy interface. I
often use a Chatterbox server for meetings with my own staff and have often
contemplated integrating it into the game itself.

 http://www.audio-tips.com/ (Voice chat community)
 http://www.howudodat.com/ (Chatterbox server)

While this may work in a "community", I don't think there will ever
be a way to allow global or even local voice chat with large numbers
of people. I believe that voice chat should be focused on the
group/party dynamics that are already present in most online
games. And, as you state, there really wouldn't be all that many
issues involved with such an implementation.

---
Corey Crawford
ccrawford at seventh.net