[MUD-Dev] FEAR Animat style AI for Quake 2

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Dec 2 14:31:58 CET 2002

On 12/2/02 12:14 PM, Freeman, Jeff <jfreeman at soe.sony.com> wrote:

> In my experience, players don't even like it when AI is given the
> ability to determine that a given battle is a lost cause, that the
> AI ought to just run away.  They like the AI to be a bit stupid.

Indeed.  They want opponents to be challenging but generally
beatable.  This translates to "I don't want to lose more than 1 in
5."  It's weird how 20% pops in people's assessments of how
prevalent something is.  If you give someone a perfectly evenly
matched opponent, they will interpret themselves as being at a
disadvantage, and will go to quite impressive lengths to "even the
odds", where "even" seems to happen at about that "lose 20% of the
time" boundary.

Parallels to real world arms races are left as an exercise for the
reader.

Amanda Walker