[MUD-Dev] Virtual worlds as a Society of Mind

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Mon Dec 2 14:01:21 CET 2002

From: "Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com>
> Frank Crowell, of sober mind, writes:

>> The other components then are the autonomous agents/mobs and
>> objects with embedded smarts. For example instead of you looking
>> at a lamp and determining the properties, you can ask the lamp
>> about it's properties.  Actually, at this point everything looks
>> the same-- the characters with human operators, mobs, and
>> objects.

> I think The Sims is an excellent example of this in action.  It's
> restricted to object interactions, but each piece of furniture and
> food broadcasts what it does, etc.  Best simple description of it
> is from the Gamasutra article

That's what I was trying to recall from my sober mind -- that
article.

There is also some really freaky things when you start exploring
this stuff at the deep physical/metaphysical level.  The good news
is that we probably don't have to worry about this type of modeling
for at least 20 years.  But it would be interesting to visit a
virtual world in Dec 2, 2102 and see what it vworlds looks like by
then.

frank