[MUD-Dev] online voice communication

Damion Schubert damion at ninjaneering.com
Mon Dec 2 11:00:08 CET 2002

From: Amanda Walker

> It's livable as long as everyone cooperates to keep it livable.  I
> have a lot of experience with videoconferencing (which involves a
> noticeable but fixed delay).  It takes a while to learn avoid
> having the conversation screech to a halt even when everyone is
> trying to compensate for the delay and keep the conversation
> going--turn-taking and other time-based conversational cues get
> very messed up by delay.

> When I imagine combining that with unpredictable delay, a lot more
> people trying to talk at once, and people who don't care about
> cooperating, text chat starts to look good.  Imagine popping into
> a busy "market" area in an MMORPG, for example--shudder.

As of yet, voice chat is really only feasible for 4-8 people.  As
there is only one group in MMPs that gravitates naturally to that
size (the party), it does create an environment where people are
more likely to work together to make it livable.  If someone's a
jerk, you kick them out of your party.

Voice chat is quite excellent for small squad tactics (especially,
it should be pointed out, player killing).  I'm still waiting for
someone to make it really work in 'cocktail party' mode.
Unfortunately, the publishers are more interested in that social
mode, as the reason many are interested in voice is that they see
keyboard communication as being a barrier to entry for new users.

--d