[MUD-Dev] Natural Selection and Communities

Koster Koster
Thu Aug 29 10:04:50 CEST 2002

From: John Buehler
> Matt Mihaly writes:
>> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, John Buehler wrote:

> The only structures that ever evolved in the graphical games that
> I've seen are the ones that the games directly supported.
> Asheron's Call had monarchies because they were directly
> supported.  EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot had guilds because
> they were directly supported.

UO had guilds when they were NOT directly supported. The game
launched without any sort of guild support. Players used the ability
to dye clothing to make uniforms for guilds, and they *started their
characters over* with names that had the guildname added at the
end--membership was literally a lifetime deal, irrevocable for that
character. And they developed rituals (lighting candles to induct
people, etc) and so on.

Eventually, we added guilds, and players started their characters
over yet again, without the guild tags on the end. In fact, we
adopted the guild tag concept the players had developed and made it
part of the system.

-Raph