[MUD-Dev] Natural Selection and Communities

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 14:09:58 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Paul Schwanz wrote:

>> Do you think the way you handle player-run cities in Achaea would
>> scale well to an MMORPG?  Personally, I don't see any reason it
>> wouldn't.

> So I think it probably would scale quite well, but would need some
> tweaking to get rid of the human-playing-a-God role. Managing the
> number of Gods that would be required in a large game would be
> daunting to say the least.

Functionally, would there need to be much difference between a
human-playing-a-god role and a human-playing-a-mayor role?  What
kind of powers would you need to give the mayor role to let it
perform the same kind of oversight function?  Do you think that
mayors being managed through citizen election would be sufficient,
or must there be direct developer involvement?

--Phinehas