[MUD-Dev] Histories and Legends

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Aug 28 09:32:38 CEST 2002

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, apollyon wrote:
>> From: paul.schwanz at sun.com

>>> And without death, can a character truly be memorialized or
>>> become a legend?

> To offer a personal experience too: I used to play a MUD called
> Avalon. Became the most powerful player of my time and so on. I
> haven't played in 5 years, but someone told me the other day that
> people still talk about my character there as if he were the
> boogeyman. That character had achieved the equivalent of Achaea's
> Ascension, which essentially permanently enshrined that character
> in history of the game.

I'm going to claim here that being a "god" is different than being a
legend, even though one who remains aloof might inspire a similar
kind of awe.  I would agree that your Avalon character is a good
example of a legend, but I think this only became possible once it
was gone from the MUD.  I believe this is the case, because to me,
if I can walk up to your character in a game and talk to them, they
will tend to lose some of their legendary stature as I realize they
have all sorts of human foibles and character flaws.

--Phinehas