[MUD-Dev] TECH: Trusting Network Clients

Russ Whiteman russw99 at swbell.net
Tue Aug 27 19:58:14 CEST 2002

From: "Fox McCloud" <Fox_McCloud at gmx.net>

> I lately started planning a graphical MUD and I hope it would work
> so far. But I came across the question to trust the client data or
> not. Of course it would be secure if the server just does
> *everything* but I think this would afford a tremendously server
> power. Well otherwise people could manipulate the data easily, so
> where's the border line, what data should you allow the client to
> process? Any reommendations?

The only thing that can be safely offloaded to the client is the job
of making things pretty for the player, and asking the player what
to do next (even this one's a bit iffy).  IOW, don't put -any- data
on the client that you're not willing to print out for the player in
full detail, because there's little difference...  You can get away
with trusting clients somewhat more, if you're designing a small
game that is only intended to be played among trusted friends, but
as soon as you start having players that you don't know, you simply
cannot trust them if you intend for the game to maintain any degree
of integrity.