[MUD-Dev] Social Networks

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Tue Aug 27 13:22:57 CEST 2002

Tess Snider wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Bruce Mitchener wrote:

>> Some factors that she claims play a role in the safety of a city,
>> based on some anecdotal stories, are:

>>     * Presence of passers-by, kibitzers, shopkeepers to intervene
>>     (or prevent by their presence) in criminal acts.

>> There are numerous problems with applying these ideas to a game:

> I would add:

>       - There generally isn't a population of players who maintain
>       static posts, such as shopkeepers.  You could make your NPC
>       shopkeepers take more interest in the goings-on in front of
>       their stores, and potentially fill an enforcement role, but
>       it could then be argued that they aren't much different,
>       then, from guards, which, as was pointed out, further up,
>       aren't that effective.

Maybe the guards could be put to better use?  I'm trying to think of
a real-world security system that doesn't take access control into
account, but coming up with zilch.  If entrance into a city
(particularly one that is community/player owned) is a privilege
that must be earned through trust relationships, if the guards
inspect everyone who passes through the city gates to ensure they
have the proper "badge," what effect might this have on how safe or
secure citizens felt?

As you point out later in your post, preventing large groups of
people from entering your city will impact commerce, but this seems
like one of those things that would be perfect for handing off to
the city's governing body.  Some citizens will prefer security over
commerce while others will not.  Why not allow the city charters to
prescribe which approach the community will take and then let
players choose the community that fits them best?  Which community
will be the most successful?  I'd think the one that found the
perfect balance between security and commerce would be.  What is
that balance?  If the communities had the ability to decide these
things for themselves, wouldn't we find out?

--Phinehas