[MUD-Dev] Advertising Thread

Marc LaFleur marc at genesisfour.com
Fri Aug 23 14:12:16 CEST 2002

<EdNote: Do not rely on me to fix attributions>

Dave Rickey wrote:

> Not as of last year.  We *really* didn't do enough traditional
> advertising or get enough ink for Camelot to account for our
> sales, most of it had to have come from word of mouth.  For that
> matter, has SWG had enough advertising to account for 139,000 beta
> signups?

Is that 130k a guess or is it accurate. If its accurate, my mind is
melting!

I wonder if you can get an idea of the number sales based on the
number of beta users. It would be interesting to know how many beta
users each of the major games had vs the number of users who logged
on in the first week.

Maybe there is a patter here that could help companies better plan
for release. It seems to be that the problems that some MMOGS faced
on opening day were caused by underestimating the number of users.

Marc