[MUD-Dev] Social Networks

Sage sage at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 22 13:42:10 CEST 2002

One Thursday, August 22, 2002 5:52 AM
Harrok wrote:

> I would suggest that the East Commons zone worked as a community,
> and Freeport didn't, for two reasons:

> (a) there was something to do in the zone -- low level types could
> fight orcs, higher levels could speculate about whether a griffin
> would be along soon. People had a reason to be there other than
> trading, and in a highly goal-directed game that's vital.  (b)
> there was only one zone there, rather than three.

My experience in EQ suggests that Freeport failed as a Market for other
reasons than points of interest:

  1.  Navigating it was somewhat of an issue for newer players.

  2.  It was too crowded and people were bunched up on one another.

  3.  Some races couldn't enter without doing a lot of "busy-work."
  (Improving faction, sneaking, etc.)

East Commons worked because it:

  1.  Had a clearly identifiable landmark.

  2.  Was open to all races.

  3.  Gave enough room for people to spread out.

  4.  Was located at least somewhat close to a bank for all races
  except Iksar.  (Freeport and Neriak)

I do think you are probably right on track with saying that cities
should be more interesting than they are in the current crop of
games.  Of course, what is interesting to one person is often a
hassle to others.

Is there a commercial game out right now that doesn't make the
cities the "safe places", or at least "safer?"  Interesting that you
brought up Lankhmar, as my impression of that world was always that
the cities were the most dangerous place to be.