[MUD-Dev] narrative

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Thu Aug 22 13:15:12 CEST 2002

On 8/22/02 10:24 AM, Ron Gabbard <rgabbard at swbell.net> wrote:

> Human beings, in general, are very big on the concept of
> memorializing people and events.

Indeed, not to mention memorializing themselves.  What's one of the
biggest player complaints about current MMORPG's? "I can't have any
effect on the world."  Turbine's occasional updates in AC which
refer to player actions, and SOE's EQ "Legends" server don't even
really do this.

This isn't just a matter of big things, but little things, and I
think it contributes to the "whatever, it's just a game, don't
bother me" grief player attitude.  In most games, the world is made
out of Teflon-coated diamond.  You can throw fireballs in town all
you want, and never blow up a shop (or shopkeeper) by mistake,
attract any attention from NPCs, or even leave scorch marks.
Where's the fun in that? :)

Small, highly-managed games like Achaea and Castle Marrach do allow
player effects to some extent, and it's part of their appeal.  FPS
games live past 3 months only by virtue of the mod scene, which is
how players make their mark on the game.

Non-game MUDs, MOOs, etc. are an even more extreme example.  MOOs
exist to be modified, and to let people make their marks on the
world.  NWN doesn't even have a real "shared world", but people are
gobbling it up because it lets them point at a campaign and say "I
did that."

Amanda Walker