[MUD-Dev] Advertising Thread

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Thu Aug 22 11:36:51 CEST 2002

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]

>> I'll grant there are a couple of these commercially successful
>> MMORPGs in Korea, but I'd be quite interested for you to direct
>> us to the website of a commercially successful MMORG here in the
>> west that wasn't done by people with text experience.

> Hmm wasn't Asheron's Call done by people with no experience. They
> had certainly never written a game before. They had a post-mortem
> in gdmag saying as much IIRC.

"Postmortem: Turbine Entertainment's Asheron's Call"

  http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000525/ragaini_01.htm

  "Although the team had no professional game development
  experience, one invaluable thing that the team did have was
  experience playing MUDs and similar text-based Internet
  games. Although these games were comparatively simple, the
  game-play dynamics created in a massively-multiplayer environment
  are extremely different from a single-player game. MUDs proved to
  be a very useful model for multiplayer gaming patterns."

Doesn't say that the developers had designined MUDs, nor does it say
how broad their MUD experience was.  Most of the development staff
was either fresh out of college or still in college.

20% of the world is real.