[MUD-Dev] narrative

Benjamin Tolputt bjt at pmp.com.au
Tue Aug 20 14:47:23 CEST 2002

<EdNote: Some rewording and trimming happened>

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> It is a foolish goal.

Why is it a foolish goal?

> What you really want to tell is the same story to 2000 people.

This is something I DON'T want to do. It is one of my pet hates
about current MUD's and MMORPG's. I hate doing the same thing that a
million other's have done before me. Why should I follow the same
story as everybody else has done? That is not the level of
interactivity I am after. I want something more - something
customised to the way I play. And for that to be supplied to players
like myself - you either need ALOT of writers (way too much to be
profitable) OR use some form of AI quest/plot generation.

I, however, agree with you whole-heartedly about the fact that you
cannot have 2000 participants to the same storyline. But then again,
over-arching storylines should. For example, if someone usurps the
Good King (tm) - all players of that kingdom will likely feel the
brunt of that effect.