[MUD-Dev] Advertising Thread

Shannon Appelcline shannona at skotos.net
Mon Aug 19 11:05:13 CEST 2002

Rayzam wrote:

>  MUDs aren't of interest to game designers,

This statement seems fairly demonstrably false from the existence of
this mailing list. It also overlooks the fact that, though MUDs are
a niche market, they're also much cheaper to build than a $10
million graphical game. That means that you, as a designer, have
more freedom to try out very innovative game designs, and even fail
sometimes. A Sony wouldn't let you do that with tens of millions of
dollars at stake.

Thus, until there's a revolution that makes 3D-mapped images dirt
cheap, MUDs, and similar niche markets, are the exact places where
good, interesting, and exciting game design will happen.

  (And we won't even get into the fact that two of the major
  MMORPGs, EverQuest and Dark Ages of Camelot, are either built
  straight on MUD technology or derived from it. And how many other
  MMORPGs are derived directly from EverQuest?)

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> What % of people do you think try a 3D graphical MMORPG, then hear
> about text MUDs from some random online buddy, try out a text MUD,
> and say "Wow this is so much cooler than the 3D MMORPG I was
> playing!"

Studies seem to show that players stay with whatever game they first
experienced on the 'net. Thus, your point is entirely accurate, but
so's the fact that MUD players are much less likely to go over to 3D
MMORPGs than another MUD.

--
Shannon Appelcline
Vice President