[MUD-Dev] narrative

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Thu Aug 15 09:09:55 CEST 2002

From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com>
> Dave Rickey wrote:

>> Just as an example: "Bounty Quests" were a special case solution
>> that worked: NPC X wants you to kill monsters of type Y and bring
>> you their Z body part as proof.  It's simple, it's boring from a
>> story-teller's viewpoint...and the players love it.

> As a player, I hate it.  I will not buy any consumer product that
> expects me to do this as "fun."  The players who love it are the
> same ones who love leveling up in Diablo II forever.  You can use
> exactly the same kind of unsophisticated technology to implement
> it, no writing of any sort required!  What you have here is a
> bifurcation point of player interest, and game designer interest.
> There is *NOTHING* encouraging to note about this special case.
> It is the problem.

Reality is what it is.  I want to work with player societietal
dynamics that only set in when you have thousands of players, that
means I have to find core game mechanics that will draw that number
of players.  So it's uninteresting from a design viewpoint at that
level of complexity?  You can work up to greater complexity.  What
is encouraging to note is that this dynamic is easily adapted to
algorithmic generation.  You've got to crawl before you can run.

--Dave