[MUD-Dev] Re: The total DBMS approach

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Aug 13 15:52:23 CEST 2002

From: Aaron "the mad man" Weeks [mailto:aweeks at tacosalad.lssu.edu]

> I'm curious to see how using MySQL will work as a storage backend
> as well.  I'm currently developing a graphical mud which will use
> MySQL, however, I am going to develop it the capability of running
> from other databases as well as a flat file system, just in case
> it fails.  That part is already planned out, and should be no big
> deal.  The game server will be running Perl, which I will use to
> interface with the database(s), on an old Sparc I have lying
> around.  Don't worry though, I know that this isn't a
> super-powered system.  My playerbase will probably only be about
> 70 or so people, with about 10 or 15 people playing at once at any
> given time.

> In deciding to run from MySQL, I am also taking into consideration
> its limitations.  As far as no nested queries, I can get around
> that with no problem.  If it is a problem, I'll hope MySQL 4.1 has
> it working by the time I finish.  If I remember correctly though,
> MySQL only allows DB writes one at a time, whereas the big
> powerhouse DBs can have multiple writes.  This kind of concerns
> me, but it shouldn't end up too much differently than flat file.
> It will just be easier to deal with info.

Might be worth having a look at this :

---
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/development/2000/MSDE2000.asp

MSDE 2000 is a royalty-free, redistributable database engine that is
fully compatible with SQL Server. MSDE 2000 is designed to run on
Microsoft WindowsR 98, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me),
Microsoft Windows NTR Workstation version 4.0 (with Service Pack 5
or later), and Windows 2000 Professional as an embedded database for
custom applications that require a local database engine.
---

Obviously the plan is to get people who need the performance to
upgrade ;)

Having said that if it meets your needs it might be a very good
solution as MS SQL server is becoming a credible performer these
days for small to medium apps.

Dan