[MUD-Dev] narrative

John Robert Arras johna at wam.umd.edu
Tue Aug 13 12:32:26 CEST 2002

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Bruce Mitchener wrote:
> Dave Rickey wrote:

>> What we (try to) do is create interesting situations for the
>> player, and let them resolve them.  When it works, the result
>> *feels* like an adventure.

> I think that this is part of the confusion that has lead to a lack
> of discourse with Brandon on this topic.

I agree. Perhaps we need another word?

yrots: Events generated by interactions between players and
algorithms that give the player interacting with those events a
sense of having been part of a story.

Or something like that.

> Are you able to talk about what sorts of tools you use or systems
> you use for creating missions/quests?  Any one else that is happy
> and willing to talk about the tools that they use for that is
> welcome to chime in as well.

I am trying to write code that will generate simple events like city
attacks and so forth automatically. Quests are things that the
creatures and the societies of the world need the players to do at
the moment, and player actions do influence the simulation. Players
get quests by asking for "news", and the news can report on rumors
which are important events that have been recorded.

You can d/l the code and play with it if you want:

  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23151&release_id=104989

I would recommend letting the simulation run very fast for many
hours (by typing speedup foozball within the game) to get an idea of
what it tries to do.

I haven't tried to make any general frameworks or new languages yet
because I don't really understand the problem. Therefore, I stick
with working out examples. :) Maybe I will understand it someday.

John